Visa assistance/immigration

Exchange Visitor Program

The Schepens Eye Research Institute is designated by the United States State Department as an exchange visitor program sponsor. Exchange visitors enter the U.S. with J-1 visas, and their dependents enter with J-2 visas. To obtain a J-1 or J-2 visa, the exchange visitor and dependents apply at the appropriate U.S. consulate. Prospective exchange visitors and their family members should follow the directions provided by their consulate for applying for a J-1 or J-2 visa. A research scholar entering the U.S. on a visa should contact Human Resources as far in advance as possible, so our Immigration Specialist can arrange the required documentation to present to the consulate with the visa application. Exchange visitors should be aware that some participants are subject to the two-year home-country physical presence requirement, and must apply for a waiver of that requirement if they seek to remain in the United States beyond the end date of their programs in certain visa categories or if they seek a change in visa status.